Sunday, December 7, 2008

Reflective letter

Reflective letter


Writing has been a new turn of unseen variations; coming into PSEC was exciting and full of unexpected things. I have always loved writing and hopefully always will, but these three months have unmasked a lot of challenges for me. I say challenges because more than anything else I tend to focus more on my weakness then my strengths , but this seemed to help wake me up to be not only a better writer but to be a aware of what I needed to change and grow in. As an example of the challenges I have been going through I have included four writing essays. These essays were generally easy topics to write about but difficult when it actually involved putting them together. I am always expecting them to flow beautifully.

The first was the application essay I was required to write in order to be accepted into PSEC. Writing this was difficult but simple because I knew my topic very well. I wanted this to be perfect I worked hard on it and I believe this shows one of my better writings. The second would be my Bacon’s Rebellion essay; this was seemingly the most difficult writing I have ever done. I wanted it to be great with little effort on my part and I let what other people wanted dictate how I wrote it. This showed because I failed it. The third essay was my Massachusetts patriot writing: this one I feel shows that I have grown since the last essay. This essay was one of the better ones I did and I realized that if I poured all I knew into writing and chose not to worry about pleasing people then I would write better ( not perfect but better). The fourth was a small writing essay “give me liberty or give me death”. This essay was one I enjoyed writing not at all difficult but my hope is that it shows my strength in voice and flow.

All of these writings show different weakness and strengths, but the two main themes between all of them are first my weakness: my punctuation/grammar and sentence flow. The second my strengths: would be my ability to show my critical thinking and have a voice throughout my paper. Both of these still needs developed especially my weaknesses. Being in a writing 101 I have seen enough in myself to really push what I have and what I want in being a writer. I believe this portfolio will show my work ethic and new understanding that I have acquired for future learning experiences. I will constantly strife to better myself as a writer and hopefully will be able to pass along what I learn, because I believe someday I could potentially become a great writer. With all that I have learned I really feel like I have grown so much in knowledge of my ability to write. I realized that anyone is capable of writing great if they have the perseverance and patience to learn from their mistakes and evolve with a better understanding.

3 comments:

Kitsune said...

I like how you were confident in the last paragraph -- that's a good way to end it. I think that I personally would have liked to see you talking about some other things in the class besides the essays, even though I know the essays were the biggest deal, but maybe just some more general things about the class.

By the way, in the last paragraph you said 'strife', but I know you meant to say 'strive'. Just lettin' ya know.

Emm said...

-You say four essays are included? did you mean the three plus the acutal reflective letter?
-The essay jsut seems really rushed, like as if i was waiting for it to start. You dont talk to much about your process and how you've change. Then of course ya gotta add quotes like Craig told us today pretty sure well have too .
-I like the writing , the way your write, but i would just talk more aobut the journey not exactly just the results. When the essay ended i was kinda confused, like what happened , kinda waiting for it to start.

Lena said...

-I like your introduction and concluding paragraphs.

-I think that you need to be more specific on your strengths, weakness, and improvements. Include quotes to prove your improvements.

-I feel that you just touch on the essays, but you dont really dont take time explaining how you did.

-Other than that, its a good start :] keep working on it!