Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Essay 2: Massachusetts patriot

A letter of declaration to my parents; January 6, 1776


Mother and Father, please know that I am loyal to you and I trust that you will hear my plea and justification as to why I must leave your care. I have watched the British take over Massachusetts and their actions convey disrespect to our land. Controlling us as if we are their mutt they can freely kick. Here in Massachusetts where I was raised by you I have witnessed these things: destroying our economic values, taking over us with propaganda and manipulation, and using us for Britain’s profit and growth. For these clear reasons I have decided to become a patriot despite your stance against it. You are my only family and you have allowed the British to walk all over our values and what we believe. I mean no disrespect to you and I highly honor who you are but I must speak my mind. I support the separation of Britain and anything that directly ties us to them.

Father, first I must state my sentiments to you; all my life I have heard you support the very people who have ruined your place of business with their selfish taxes and laws. You were thriving in Boston the most economic port in the thirteen colonies, but as soon as the British starting taxes all necessities you could not keep up with the demand. We lost our home because of it and yet you still act as though it doesn’t affect you or us. I grew up with uneasiness on the streets, people taking a stand against the injustice, anti -law petitions hanging everywhere, riots, and the one belief that tied the patriots together. Standing against the British because the patriots know their rights and so do I.

Do you remember back in 1773 when I was fourteen and the patriots decided to dump out all of the tea received from Britain into Boston port? I do I remember it so well, we were watching from the harbor as they poured out all of the tea dressed in what I thought was a silly disguise , but they did it because the British were crossing the line over taxing and controlling us the colonists of Massachusetts. I felt in that moment an ordained right to feel what they felt. Then the British did something I could not swallow or even conceive -they closed the Boston harbor. I cannot understand how you justified what the British did, but I do know you read one of the acts the committee sent out: “This attack, though made immediately upon us, is doubtless designed for every other colony who will not surrender their sacred rights and liberties into the hands of an infamous ministry. Now therefore is the time when all should be united in opposition to this violation of the liberties of all,” (Circular Letter of the Boston Committee of Correspondence 1). As I heard you read this one statement I saw the change in your perception of who those patriots were. I believe you finally saw past your own beliefs and you understood what they stood for. You respected them and I knew this, but you didn’t boldly come out and say it. Father you supported both sides because you were afraid and I understand that, but I cannot hide nor can I be ally to both sides.

Mother, now I must address you. Writing this letter to you and Father is difficult but especially to you. My whole life you have hid under the social traditions of how women should act and what they should do. You support the very thing my character is against and I believe women should have the right to openly express who they are. I must confess that I desire to be a part of the secret unions that take place, strategies that are being planned, and issues being addressed that have stirred colonists all over Massachusetts.

The Acts alone should have proved where we were headed and right now we are faced with many decisions. You heard about the acts and father’s stance on the matter, but I often wonder what you think. I know you strongly side with the idea of woman being locked to the views of their husbands, but I disagree with that belief. I look back on all the acts and laws passed out by the British, and I wonder how you could stand for beliefs that chain us to someone else’s ideas. The Stamp Act, Tea Act, and Quartering Act, were all the product of problems caused by the pride of Britain. The Acts that were sent out and posted by Britain proves that their motives to be selfish and inconsiderate. “An act made in the last session of parliament, several duties were granted, continued, and appropriated, towards defraying the expenses of defending, protecting, and securing, the British colonies and plantations in America: and whereas it is just and necessary, that provision be made for raising a further revenue within your MajestyƂ’s dominions in America…](Great Britain : Parliament - The Stamp Act, March 22, 1765 1.). Everything they do is for selfish profit, and they don’t care if it hurts us economically as long as it brings a greater revenue and profit to Britain.

You had to suffer through the business falling apart and how it affected father; I admire your strength while father went through his breakdown, but now things are different- it’s time to break away from Britain. We can no longer tolerate their abusive power. The resolution of Massachusetts states “Whereas this House is fully sensible of the necessity and importance of a union of the several colonies in America, at a time when it clearly appears that the rights and liberties of all are systematically invaded; in order that the joint wisdom of the whole may be employed in consulting their common safety...],” (The Resolutions of the Massachusetts House of Representatives Agreeing to the Virginia Proposal 1.) Mother I am taking my own beliefs and forming them into who I am. I am a patriot of Boston Massachusetts.

I conclude this letter to state that we have all heard the talk of war in the past, but now it’s a reality. This revolutionary change has already begun and whether you stand against the separation of Britain, or you don’t, I do and that’s why I must leave. I am persuaded by the passionate patriots who purses and I can bare it no longer. I must do something. As Thomas Pain said in “The Crisis”; “THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph,” (Thomas Paine the Crisis 1). His words of wisdom have turned the hearts of men to stand in a hopeless time. I am standing for that glorious victory and you will someday see why being separated from Britain is important.

I am leaving to fight in any way I can. I am a patriot standing for the freedom and belief that being divided from Britain is the only way to be liberated and granted back our divine rights as humans. So please know that I love and respect you, but I cannot sit back any longer I am choosing to do something. Massachusetts is our home and if we want the right to live in peace then this is the choice that needs to be made. Separating from Britain will be the overcoming victory once and for all.Love your daughter,

Rebecca.

No comments: